Thursday, September 11, 2008

Meeting A (Suitable) Boy!!!

One of my aunts suggested that Mr and I should go to the other room and get to know each other. The guy rose with almost a prayer on his lips! Please refer the picture to the right. We were as comfortable as this. The guy who was a manager in a top MNC was shivering while talking to me. I was scared that any moment he would cry RAPE!!! Probably, his mother was scared for her son’s safety as well. She did not waste a moment to join us in the room.

Anyway, it was as if I was interviewing the guy. He would only open his mouth to answer my questions. I asked him to describe himself as a person. He said “well, you are looking at me aren’t you. You can judge for yourself.” Now, maybe it’s just me. But, I do find it a little difficult to do a character assessment by simply looking at somebody. Anyway, I asked him what his expectations were from his partner. The prompt reply was “There are many.” I waited for him to elaborate. He did not say so in so many words. But the gist was he wanted somebody was traditional yet modern, broad-minded yet happy to be home, and should necessarily be homely and attractive (I think he did not realize that these were antonyms…actually, his English was a little, actually a lot weak…but, that is hardly, oh all right, not that big a problem!) I asked him if I would be allowed to wear western wear after our marriage and I thought the guy just suffered a mini heart attack. He sounded absolutely scandalized when he said well, maybe you can wear suits…but western wear…

His mom shared all her son’s fears, it seems. She asked me and my mother at least 5 times, if I would wear saris after marriage. In fact, since my parents were absolutely smitten with the Mr and his family, I told my parents I was ready to marry Mr Wonderful.

My father called our well-educated CA boy’s father. He had the same apprehensions as his wife and son. They thought I was too “modern”! They asked my father to make it very clear to me that I would have to give up my job and that I would have to guess what…wear saris…after my marriage.

Apparently, my parents still saw no reason as to why I had suddenly become so adamant about saying I did not share the same feelings for the guy as them.However, they continue to fall deeper and deeper in love with Mr Extraordinary.

Why did I say no? Would I have said yes if the guy was more smartly dressed? Would a better person than me completely ignore the gold watch and the lack of sophistication? Heck, I am myself as clumsy as they come…what the hell do I know about sophistication?…and clothes…do they really maketh a man…I have realized that I am quite vain and immature. So, bring on the next suitable guy…and I’ll just…well…I’ll just put an end to my stupidity.

6 comments:

Amandeep said...

Hey hey hey!!!

These small things hold a lot of importance in the long run! It's these small, day to day compromises that affect us more than the occasionally occuring big ones!

Don't compromise on the compatibilty of ur wavelengths! And enjoy these samples till you meet Mr Right! :-)

Nisha said...

I've heard so many of these horror stories...after a point you really start to wonder how so many arranged marriages manage move beyond this "interview" stage.

Nisha said...

Hey Prachi
Enjoyable post. A lot of my friends have similar horror stories to tell. Wonder how so many arranged marriages actually get beyong this "interview" stage.

prachi said...

to Lisa: Hi Lisa,

Its nice to know you enjoyed reading my post.

In response to your comment, I would like to say that I do agree that the whole idea of consenting to spend your entire life with someone on the basis of a few meetings your parents have aranged for you is extremely contrived, but you know what, it's worked wonderfully for lots of people...

They would not really describe their experience as a "horror" story...I think liek a lot of things in life, its a gamble...i guess you may just discover your "soulmate" during one such meeting...who knows.. :)

Having said that, i accept that the whole idea takes a little getting used to...but eventually, you accept that the concept is similar to a blind date of sorts...and that you are just taking a chance, like you would otherwise! :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm....dat was quite interesting..
M sure u have lot more interesting comment to add on which u didn't mention in the blog.
M dying to hear all that.:)

Soumik

prachi said...

@Saumik: haha...will surely share all the anecdotes when we meet in person...if i write them all on the blog, my mean and nasty side will be exposed to all! ;)